Find and exchange data about your relatives!
DISBYT is a database where you can search for your ancestors. At the same time, you can make contact with the genealogists that researches the same people as you do.
33,2 milion records!
The database is made up of information submitted by members of DIS - Computer Genealogy Society of Sweden.
The DISBYT database contains 33,2 million records of Swedes who lived before 1911.
Each record consists of info about name, parish and year for events such as birth, marriage and death. It also includes the name of the submitter.
What data does the database contain?
There's a general limit of 100 years. This means that no data newer than 100 years are present, if there is a possibility that person in question is still alive. For deceased there's a limit of 25 years. Data newer than 100 years can be included if the person in question is deceased since more than 25 years.
The database is a second-hand source. Each member is responsible himself/herself for the data he/she has contributed.
Members can contribute - but everyone can search
- As a member in DIS, you can see data for one person at a time, and who has contributed with the data.
- If you have sent data to Disbyt yourself, you can see one whole family at a time, and you can also follow the lineages with just a mouse click.
- If you are not a member of DIS, you can search as a guest. You can then see data about one person at a time, but you cannot see the name of the contributor.
Material from all kinds of genealogy software is accepted
You can contribute to the Disbyt database regardless of which genealogy software you use.
- If you use Disgen, create a "Disbyt-utdrag".
- If you use any other program, create an export in GEDCOM. The exact procedure for this should be in the manual for your software.
Benefits of sending your data to Disbyt
If you send a contribution to Disbyt, you will receive a new user name and password. When you use these to login to Disbyt, you will be able to follow the lineages in the search results with just a mouse click. Your data will also be compared to the rest of the database, and in return you will receive a list of other genalogists researching the same people as you do.
To be able to contribute to Disbyt, you must:
- Be a member of the DIS society.
- Send an GEDCOM export file (or "Disbyt-utdrag" if you are using Disgen) to us.
Databases for Finland and Norway
There's a separate database for Finland. As of today it contains primarily data from the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland.
DIS Norway has a database very much similary to Disbyt, called DIStreff. You can use your (Swedish) DIS username and password in both the Finnish and the Norweigan databases.